DB Media Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DB Media Forum

Let Your Voice Be Heard!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Voice Over Artist

Go down 
+4
BigBill
Russell Osborne
James Russell
Daniel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Daniel
Admin

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 1:11 am

What do you think makes a great voice to use as a voice-over? Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.dbmedia.org.uk
James Russell

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 9:42 pm

Daniel - Admin wrote:
Mine sunny
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Admin

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 pm

LOL, but what qualities do you think are required?? apart from ego!! Basketball
Back to top Go down
Russell Osborne

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 12:45 am

That's the $64'000 question. I think it depends on what or who it's intended for.

Do you want to sell sofa's, chocolate, beer etc, do you want to hear a soft voice, a pushy voice, a male voice or a female voice, or do you constantly want to hear Peter Dickson's voice?

I personally think a natural voice is the best one, especially if they have a passion for the product or whatever they are voicing.

Oh yeah, hi all. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BigBill

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Which accent makes a good "voice over".   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 9:03 pm

One thing i have noticed in "voice overs" most of them are done with an English accent and not a lot are done with a Scottish one unless of course it is for something Scottish, is there a reason for this, is it something to do with the fact that some people cannot understand our accent(s). Maybe someone out there could enlighten me.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Admin

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 11:18 pm

It is taken for granted that the 'Queens English' is the most appropriate accent for anything which is in demand of a voice.

To a certain extent I think that this is a bit 'toff' nosed! There are plenty of great accents out there in this great land! The Scottish accent is a loverly one, but it can be a bit too threatening, (unless that's what you desire). Never the less the Scottish accent's should be used a lot more on radio, T.V. etc... alien
Back to top Go down
BigBill

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Voice over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 12:39 am

Yes you are right there the Scottish accent is a great accent to use, it should be used a lot more on TV, Radio etc. So here's hoping that your website discovers someone worthwhile to boost our glorious accent(s), after all we deserve the opportunity to have our 15 minutes of fame even if it only lasts two.

Keep up the good work. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
amylouise

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 5:34 pm

I think the best voice overs are the ones that don't conform to some stupid "style" that have somehow been created, such as the newsreader style, that's just ridiculous, noone talks like that, so why we do we make newsreaders?
Then there's the annoyingly soppy voice overs for adverts for toilet paper or the like, the women always sound like they are cooing over a baby or something and sound really patronising.
I actually went through a stage of noticing a lot of Scottish voice overs, maybe they've started to die out again. I think each accent goes through a fashionable phase. At the moment "celebrities" seems to be the thing.

Hello everyone by the way. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Admin

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 5:43 pm

Celebs have had their time, now is the age of the true voice-over artist!!!!
Back to top Go down
BigBill

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Celebrity VOA   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:21 pm

These so called celebrity VOA seem to have a better chance of getting their voices heard because most of the time they are in the public eye, so what chance do we "the little people" have in getting recognised, how can we compete against these people, after all their faces are their voices. As much as i would love to hear my voice promoting something, in reallity what are the odds of it happening. Yes of course i would like to be the voice of some add on the telly or radio or the voice in an elevator saying which floor you are on and how many of you have mimicked that voice, i know i have and it still brings a smile to my face when i think of it. Well we can dream, and never let your dreams get away. Keep up the good work.
Back to top Go down
Russell Osborne

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 1:01 pm

I think the celebs of this world have it easy in getting work, they on the books of various agents who just put them forward for anything, including VO gigs.

It's hard enough getting on the books of an agent when a lot of them only want someone 'recognisable' or with a background. Mad
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Admin

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeSat Nov 01, 2008 1:52 pm

....and that's why DB Media is here....to let your voice be heard. Idea

We plan to infiltrate every organisation within the U.K. , (then the world), and tell them what they are doing wrong, Evil or Very Mad and why DB Media has the right ideas about what they should be using for a voice in their commercials, game's, telecoms etc..... king

Celebs have had their time, now comes the time of the wee people!!!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
Peter Sandon

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 am

Daniel wrote:
Whatever the talent seekers want that is within your repertoire. Easy to say isn't it, but very difficult to achieve. You have to ask yourself "what type of voice do they want, and can I provide it? It is easy to say "know your limits" but you have to listen to and critique your own voice, think critically if any changes need to be made and can be made and make them. Then go through the process again and again until you are happy where you are then apply for the jobs which want that type of voice. If you have a deep rich voice there is little point in applying for a soap advert, you are almost certain do be disappointed. Good luck

Last edited by Peter Sandon on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more needed to be added to my original)
Back to top Go down
J

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: All very interesting and enlightening   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 2:51 am

I am learning so much - Smile

am I correct in thinking with Voice overs - you need to bring all what you would do in person one-on-one - or to a group plus

so be - clear - natural- enthusiastic- happy -

enjoy and feel blessed for the opportunity that living brings.
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Admin

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: VOA   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 1:20 pm

........and smile!!!!! cheers I think you've hit the nail on the head their J, thats exactly it!!! king If a role demands that we use our voice any other way, then we just do our best, as that's all we can do, and keep our fingers crossed!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Wolf

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 3:35 am

'ello all,

Smiling, that's the first thing I was informed about... and thus I smile. Unless of course I'm not to smile depending on the project.

I agree about natural voices though and not sounding like you're trying too hard to 'be' a voice over. Although I admit, they do give me a chuckle or two in the day. bounce
Back to top Go down
Daniel
Admin

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: VOA   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:54 pm

I have to admit that I have heard some very delusional people, who like those on X Factor believe they can sing, can't voice a script at all!! Mad They can voice just as much as I need another arsehole!!!! cheers

They also make me chuckle!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Voice Over Artist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Voice Over Artist   Voice Over Artist Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Voice Over Artist
Page 1 of 1